2019 is a year of new adventures for Crystalized Designs! I love sewing in addition to crochet and found that not only do I love creating clothing, I love paper piecing! Not sure what that is? Using paper, you sew small sections together to create a designs. You can find the Ball of yarn paper piecing sewing pattern below. Or if you need a full tutorial on how to paper piece, check out the Heart Paper Piecing Tutorial with video instructions.
⇢Pin it here!
⇢Find all Sewing Crafts here!
Download the Ball of Yarn PDF Sewing Pattern Template here!
Helpful tools for this pattern:
- Cotton Fabric of choice
- Sewing Machine
- Sewing Thread
- Scissors and/or Rotary Cutter
- Cutting Mat
- Add A Quarter Ruler/Ruler of choice
- Pins and/or Clips
- Iron or Heat Press such as the Cricut Easy Press 2
- Optional: Cardstock (for folding)
- Optional: Scotch Tape (for errors)
- This pattern makes a 6″ square. Once sections are complete, square should measure 6.5″ with the .25″ seam allowance border.
- Basic paper piecing knowledge needed. Find a paper piecing tutorial here.
- ¼” seam allowance (shown by faded border along each piece).
- There are 13 sections to this piece.
- Cut out one piece at a time to avoid confusion.
- Use pins to check point connections from one side to the other, clips to hold pieces in place.
- Trim fabric around sections after completed.
- 5 x 11″ paper
- Print pattern pieces using actual size, do not scale to fit
- Print single sided
Ball of Yarn Paper Piecing Sewing Pattern
You are free to sell your work from this pattern but may not share, copy or reproduce this pattern, in part or in whole. Photographs are copyright protected and may not be used. When selling your work, include a link back to this pattern as well as the following, “Pattern by Crystalized Designs”
Once individual paper piece are cut out, sew pieces in numerical order (piece 1 wrong side of fabric to wrong side of paper, additional pieces right sides of fabric together). Trim access fabric as close to seam allowance line as possible. Sew sections with right sides together.
Press after attaching each piece. Piece section B to C, then add Section A. Then, piece H to A. After, piece L to A. Lastly, piece M to B & A.
Press after each attachment. Piece E to I, then add them to M & B. Piece D to C, B, & I. (Faded area shows previously attached.)
Press after each attachment. Piece F to G, then G to K, then K to J. Piece F, G, K, & J to L, A, C,& D.
More About Crystalized Designs
Making one, or many ? I’d certainly love to see! Post any pictures to the Crystalized Designs Facebook Page or join the Crystalized Designs Facebook Group and post on the wall! Posting pictures may win you free patterns. Enjoyed this Ball of Yarn Paper Piecing Sewing Pattern? Leave a comment below!
Above all, thank you for visiting. I hope you enjoyed the pattern! Leave a comment below and again, I would love to see any pictures! Also, you can find me on Facebook, in my Facebook Group, or Instagram! I’d love for you to share on Pinterest! I’d be happy to follow you back on any social media, just leave a link below! However, if you want to see something from Crystalized Designs, I’m interested to hear! Feel free to email me with any suggestions. Therefore, you can email me at [email protected] or use the contact form.
Posts may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click and purchase items through these links. This enables Crystalized Design to bring you even more free patterns!