The puff stitch has been a long time favorite of mine. I love the texture it creates, how the stitches pop! If you've never created a puff stitch, you're in for a treat. Keep reading for the puff stitch crochet tutorial!
This elegant stitch is done by pulling up numerous loops without pulling through on the last pull through, and then chaining to close/secure the stitch.
Anxious to start? Jump to the video tutorial now!
Puff Stitch Crochet Tutorial
1) Insert your hook into the indicated stitch or space. For this tutorial, I'm inserting my hook between the puff stitches from the row below.
Remember to chain in the beginning of the row to bring your row up to the correct height.
2) Yarn over (YO) and pull up a loop. Puff stitches vary in height. The higher you pull up a loop, the taller the puff stitch. Regardless how high or low your stitch will be, try to maintain a consistent height throughout.
Subscribe to the Crystalized Designs' YouTube Channel!
3) Without pulling through the loops currently on your hook, YO and insert your hook into the same space/stitch and pull up a loop. Puff stitches may vary in the amount of loops being pulled up.
4) Once you have the number of loops pulled up that the pattern calls for or how "full" you want your stitch to look, YO and pull through all loops on your hook.
5) Chain 1 to close or secure the stitch. Continue repeating 1-5 across to make a row of puff stitches. Multiple puff stitches can be worked into the same stitch or chain to create a fun look! Check out the design below.
~ Crystalized Designs' Patterns using the puff stitch ~
The Amora Slouch Hat uses grouped puff stitches to make this cozy hat. Check out the free pattern here.
The Sierra Slouch Hat and Cowl are premium patterns. Check out the links below:
- Ravelry Sierra Slouch Hat
- Etsy Sierra Slouch Hat
- LoveCrochet Sierra Slouch Hat
- Ravelry Sierra Cowl
- Etsy Sierra Cowl
- LoveCrochet Sierra Cowl
~ Video Tutorial ~
And that, my friend, is how to make a puff stitch!
Looking for more tutorials? Check out the Linked Double Crochet tutorial or the Reverse Single Crochet tutorial. Want more? Check out the tutorial library and if you don't see something you're looking for, use the contact page to request it!
More About Crystalized Designs
Have you used the puff crochet stitch? I’d love to see! Post any pictures to the Crystalized Designs Facebook Page or join the Crystalized Designs Facebook Group and post on the wall! Posting pictures may win you free patterns. Enjoyed this puff stitch crochet tutorial? Leave a comment below!
Thank you for visiting, I hope you enjoyed the pattern! Please leave a comment below and again, I would love to see any pictures! Find me on Facebook, in my Facebook Group, or Instagram! I’d love for you to share on Pinterest! I’d be happy to follow you back on any social media, just leave a link below! Want to see something from Crystalized Designs? I’m interested to hear! Feel free to email me with any suggestions. And as always, if you have any questions about a pattern, don’t hesitate to contact me. Email is the best way to reach me. Email me at [email protected]
Posts may contain affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click and purchase items through these links, which enables Crystalized Design to bring you even more free patterns!